Right now you might qualify for up to $28,000 for tuition, books, transportation and living allowance as an education grant under the Ontario government’s Second Career program.
If you are willing to take a few months to research your field as per the government’s requirements and prove that you can be successful in a second career, you could qualify for this education grant. You must be on Employment Insurance (EI) or have been on EI some time since January 1, 2005 as shown on your Record of Employment (ROE). If you have been on EI and working an interim job you may still be eligible. You will not be eligible for Second Career if your employer indicates “dismissal” as the reason for termination.
The approval process does involve a lengthy application and waiting period to be certain that you have researched the program you wish to take and will be successful. If you are willing to take a few months to thoroughly investigate the labour market in your field then you will not be deterred by the “red tape” of Second Career.”
1. Set up an interview with a career counselor at one of Ontario’s Employment Assessment Centres.
2. If eligible, attend an information session.
3. Identify the field you wish to pursue and how it fits with your previous experience.
4. Research and show the labour market demand for your chosen field.
5. Research where the training is offered. Request a Letter of Acceptance from colleges as acceptance into the program.
6. Document financial and personal information on your application.
7. Present the results of your research in the application kit and submit the completed package to your counselor.
8. Wait for the decision from the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities which is largely based on the recommendation of the career counselor.
Call us to attend our free information session on: July 10th, 25th or 31st from 2:00 to 3:00 p.m
Or book a free career counseling session to determine the program that’s right for you.
One of our education consultant would be happy to assist you at 416 646 4744